Ubuntu at home: week 3.5

Ok almost a month. My wife has been using linux exclusively on her laptop for 2 weeks now. No windows machine at all to fall back to, cold turkey, 100% ubuntu. And her only issues have been simple. Wifi does not blindly auto-connect when we go to friends or other places. she has learned that she has to connect if it's not a secure and known wireless access point. Secondly, if she has the laptop go to sleep, it requires you to log in and log into your password wallet. And installing software requires you to type your password. Anything else has been simply issues with settings needing to be tweaked. She changed her own wallpaper, done other setting changes to suit her style all on her own, I have not helped one bit.

My personal walk with Ubuntu has also been fruitful. I keep trying to stump it with software needs and I keep coming up with a very useable solution. I thought I had linux with dreamweaver... HA! got you! no dreamweaver!........ I lost that one. Dreamweaver CS3 runs under wine fine. But there is also a open source dreamweaver that works very well. It's called Kompozer and it actually renders CSS better than dreamweaver. I was able to edit a blogger template visually in it, while dreamweaver looks a bit funky. Heck even filezilla, the best FTP client is linux native now.....

Oh and I have Sony Vegas 9 running under wine. Have not tried a Firewire capture with it, but I rarely use a firewire camera anymore... My JVC prosumer uses a hard drive, and you can convert the .TOD files under linux to MPG easier because ffmpeg will simply strip the extra bits and leave the files perfect. Linux wins with that camera over my MAC... although I still prefer Final Cut Suite...

Skype on Linux works great even with a video camera as well...

Comments

Popular Posts