The Bitwise Dream

Ok so I have this insane idea brewing... I have this old websurfer pro I bought a few years ago when CompUsa was stupid and mispriced them at $99.00 and hackedto run linux, added a hard drives etc. It has been sitting in my garage collecting dust, bugs, junk for about a year now until I though about how a low power computer could be really fun and usefuul in a RV...

My idea... RV-PC A computer in the RV that is basically a file-server, webserver and wireless accesspoint. simply install a good wireless USB adapter in a weatherproof shell on the roof and you can connect to it from the house to upload movies, music, etc... for your next trip and then in road mode act as an accesspoint so you can log-in with your laptop to access those files and to act as a hotspot for others to read about what you are doing, look at webcams you have mounted on the camper, etc.... lots of neat things could be done by adding sensors so you can view a webpage that shows the past 24 hours temperature graph and other data you could collect (levels in the sewage tank? how much freshwater you have left....)

if you make it out of a mini-itx computer you could also use it as a movie playback system for the entire RV as well as gaming and other uses...

so I'll start out with my low power websurfer pro... and see what happens... now to figure out how to get it to run off 12 volts instead of 120.... time to engineer an ATX power supply!......

Comments

Popular Posts