Fun with wireless.

I do not have the cable modem moved yet. Comcast is as slow as the phone company in getting things done, so I am without Internet at home.... WEll sort of. I have my neighbors wireless I am using right now. But I cant get my replayTV to register to the service to keep it operating in playback mode until they decide to finally get over here to hook up the Cable.

So I did what every Linux hacker does. I cheated.

I took my Fiancee's Ubunto box that has a wireless PCI card in it that actually works under Linux and hooked my replay into it's Ethernet port. enabled ipv4 forwarding and added a touch of iptables magic like (/sbin/iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ath0 -j MASQUERADE) and poof! the replay can use the wireless connection on her pc to the neighbors to authenticate so it will keep working for a while....

This got me thinking, How to make a great Internet "borrowing" system that works like a regular internet connection.

Here's my idea. USB 802.11b/g that works with linux. break it and stick it's antenna on a home built quadrant antenna that is at the focal point of a thrown away Dish network dish mounted on the roof and pointed at a neighbors house for full signal strength. run that to the linux box configured for forewarding and nat and run from ethernet to a wireless router of your own in the house.

Voila! wireless in your home courtesy of the neighbors! Ok, it might not be kosher but it would work great for camping.

Comments

Popular Posts