Return to an era of Retro computing.

Ok, so I got a little nuts. I bought off Ebay a Tandy model 100 laptop computer. if you dont know what that is, it's the very first laptop computer ever made. it's a screaming 4 Mhz with 24 K of ram. it's something that I lusted after really badly when I was about 16 years old. Back then they were $799-$1000.00US depending on options. today they are $10-$25 off ebay.. I got mine for $10 in great shape.

What am I going to use it for? Ham Radio... Packet Radio to be specific. These things run 20 hours off of a standard set of 4-AA batteries. it has a standard serial port and coupled with a handheld, a Heathkit HK-21 and a small bag it's the best option for a portable packet setup there is.

my only problem is that my HK-21 tnc does not have an internal battery... so a KPC-3 might be the best replacement for that.

it also can work great as a portable journal/ wordprocessor. i am looking at expanding it's memory (it has 2 slots available for ram upgrade and a ROM upgrade.)

It will be a great toy to take with me as I bike. and I will not care if I drop/break it... which is a bigger advantage.

Comments

Popular Posts