What none of the 3d printing you-tubers tell you.

 Ive been in the world of 3d printing for a while now.  I started with a tiny little toy printer and recently build from scratch a Voron 2.4.  I have modded several ender's into way more capable printers than they ever were out of the box.  But one thing I have not really done is print in ABS, ASA, or any of the high temp finicky filaments.   Most of the time it was PLA, PETG if I wanted to be fancy, and some of the flexible stuff for silly projects.

There is one thing I learned that I never EVER hear from youtubers is that the filament matters.   I see so many people frustrated with 3d printing and I ask,  "what filament do you use?" and I get screamed down in forums that it doesnt matter,   the cheap stuff is as good as the expensive stuff, etc...    And those people are all very wrong and are causing people to suffer.   Filaments like PLA it doesnt make a huge difference but print quality will change significantly for the better in the higher quality stuff.  I'm personally a fan of 3dFuel Pro PLA.   But where is really REALLY matters is when you step up to ABS, ASA and beyond.     Cheap ABS is a nightmare even on a perfectly dialed in printer.  you hear the comments like "well you need to use slurry",  or a hundred of other stupid ideas that are only bandaids to fix a problem that your filament is junk and you should throw it away.

The past few years a LOT of good filament formulas have came out and in the world of ABS there is ABS pro ABS+  etc...  that is a night and day difference.   FlashForge ABS Pro is massively better to print in than any cheap traditional ABS.  adhesion is rock solid,  it doesnt warp like a lunatic. And yes I am printing on a 110C bed with a heated enclosure.   Cheap ABS just sucks and you should never EVER try to make it work with all these workarounds to save you nothing in money and spend your time.

I have never EVER had to use a gluestick, slurry, or any of these workarounds to compensate for good filament on any of my printers.    and Yes I have printed on every possible surface.  Steel, Glass, Mirrors (Claims that all mirrors are perfectly flat out there on reddit is so dumb) every possible surface made and sold for printer beds...... what do I use now?  Textured PEI on spring steel,  nothing else comes close to it.   Except when printing the Flexible filaments, then I coat it in Blue tape as that stuff wants to become one with the PEI and will never come off.

So the TLDR:  Your filament sucks,  buy the better stuff and stop listening to youtubers that profit off of you coming back to watch more videos because their last tip did not work.

Note:  I can print in ABS (barely) on the ender3 I have  not in an enclosure with the flashforge abs pro filament.   Ender 3 heated bed can barely reach 95C is so weak.

Comments

Popular Posts