Success in HD DVD ripping.

The following recipe worked for my HDDVD ripping test. I am certian it will work for BluRay as well.

Step 1 you need a Windows machine. something beefy. 3.0ghz dual core at LEAST or this is going to take a while. I did my testing on a 3.2ghz single core Pentium 4. It took 52 hours to rip the HDDVD.

Step 1.5 Get a BluRay reader or write drive. You gotta read the disks, I prefer LG and Pioneer.

Step 2 you need to buy AnyDVD, the HD version specifically. This actually is the key to all this. without anydvd you cant crack the encryption. You have to have it and it's cheap.

Step 3 find and download Ripbot264 and follow it's detailed instructions to get it installed. This part is a tad tricky if you have ever installed any other ripping tools.

Step 4 clear out a huge swath of free disk space. King Kong took 50 gigs total during processing. It ended up as a 5 gig 720p HD mp4 file when I was done but ripbot needs all that space to do it's work. a really fast 500 gig drive is recommended. Faster the drive the faster the rip as a lot of this is disk intensive.

A LOT of the people out there ripping use the strange MKV format. I refuse to as it's not compatible with most media center systems. I rip to mp4 as almost all HD capable media centers will play this file. MKV may mature into somethign that will be compatible, but right now it's not and I'm avoiding it, I suggest you do too unless you like only watching the rip on your PC. I had some huge delays in my ripping by using a USB HDDVD drive (Xbox360 drive I got for $15.00) I am certain that using a sata Bluray drive will help a lot in speed. I rip and re-size to 720p simply because the quality difference between 1080p and 720p are minimal for 99% of all the movies released. and if you have a 720p set, it's a waste of your time to rip to the larger format anyways. when movies start getting release that have real 1080p quality, I will reevaluate my procedure, but even the latest digitally filmed releases don't look any better from 720p to 1080p even on a 108" screen. It's a limitation of the original film not the technology. And the older stuff that was shot on film, it's barely worth watching on HD. Films from even the 90's were so low resolution that HD does not give any benefit other than now you can see the film grain.

now you have a basic recipie to rip your BluRay and HDDVD discs to files for use on your XBMC or Media Center PC allowing you to safely store those high cost disks away from the kids and get the clutter out of the living-room.

Comments

Popular Posts